Drombeg Stone Circle, situated about two miles south-east of Glandore village, is probably the best known archaeological site in West Cork. Before it was excavated by Professor Edward Fahy in 1957, it was known locally to the locals as the Druid’s Altar. Professor Fahy found fourteen standing stones forming a circle, the diameter of which is 9.3 meters approximately. Three fallen stones were discovered and resonated bringing the total to seventeen. The majority of the stones are local sandstone.